- Does the size of the rump or rumpus activity that the sofa will be exposed to matter?
- Is the sofa for looks or for serious lounging?
- Will one person tend to "claim" the sofa or will it be most often shared by several?
- A single cushion is great for sleeping on because there won't be any cording or gaps between cushions to cause discomfort. Let's face it, if your goal is to purchase a sofa - or create a window seat - for lounging and napping, the one-cushion route just may be your preferred option.
- It just looks nice! On many styles - a camel back sofa, for example - it is often just more aesthetically pleasing with one cushion.Clients sometimes get stuck on thinking that the number of back cushions must equal the number of seat cushions. You can see here, that is not the case.
- Sometimes a foam cushion, depending on the density and amount of regular use it gets, has a tendency to wear more quickly in the center, causing the ends to pop up a bit on a long cushion. Consider the type of use your sofa will get. If you have this concern, there is always the option of clips to secure cushions to main body of sofa.
- The most critical, in our mind, is the activity level of the household. There is a possibility the cushion may get soiled. With multiple cushions, you can replace just one. On a large cushion, if there is a damage or soil, the entire piece will need to be replaced.
Is this to much to think about to go it alone? If you are in the market for a sofa, Storibook Designs can help you. In addition to upholstery services, we offer custom-made furniture to your specifications. And yes, in case you haven't figured it out by the photos that have been shared, Pearson is one of our preferred vendors. Their furniture styling, quality and fabric offerings make choosing them a no-brainer. Take a peek at the range of amazing fabrics your furniture can be created in!
If you are ready to forge ahead on your own, you may also find our previous posts on what to look for when purchasing a sofa here and here quite helpful. If it's pure eye-candy inspiration you want; hop on over to our curated sofa board on Pinterest.
Finally, we also provide shopping services so you can hire us to shop for a sofa with you, so no matter where your at in the hunt for your new furniture, we've got you covered! Get in touch!
We always love to hear your feedback. If you appreciated this post, please leave a comment below!
Thanks so much!