Your Guide to Decorating without Color: All-White, Done Right!


An all white room sounds so easy.
It's all one color, so how could you go wrong...right? 
Wrong.

Creating a successful all white room requires a little more thought and effort than just painting the walls white and making sure all of the furniture and accessories are the same. You still need to give the room some life; to achieve elegance such as you see below, you will have "mixed it up a bit" with varying shades of white, textures, finishes, and accessories.


My husband always tells me I should never even wear white; inevitably I end up with paint or coffee on it - I'd like to play defense and say he exaggerates but shamefully, I must admit, its true - either that or I end up looking like confetti, covered with tiny shots of color and threads from all the fabric samples I lug around and projects I am working on that day.  So when it comes to my suggestion for white in our living room, you can imagine his response.  Still, I love all-white done right and admire those who are able to keep it looking just so...


So how about you? Can you handle it... can you maintain the pristine elegance and dare to decorate in the absence of color?  If yes and going all white is in the cards for you, here are a few tips to guide you in doing it right!

 Photo: Country Living 
Think beyond white as a simple color.  Within this one color there are a variety of shades and hues.  There are grayish whites, yellowed whites, blue whites, and beige whites.  There are cool whites and warm whites.  White has the same diversity that any other color has.  Think about the range from light pink to crimson red... white has that same range, albeit in a more subtle way. 


Use these different whites in everything from the walls to the bedding to the upholstery.  Imagine that the distinctions amongst the different whites is the same as the distinction between a yellow and a blue, for example, and use your whites accordingly.  Two different tones of white mix beautifully when combined in a tone on tone stripe or damask wallpaper.  Add interest to your walls by using these different whites in paint and wallpaper.


Texture is possibly the most important aspect in putting together an all white room!  The fabrics, linens, upholstery, and window treatments in an all white room must be different enough that it does not look as if you have draped the entire room in a white sheet. 


Texture is the key to achieving a different look in every piece.  A knubby knit throw on the sofa, voile sheers on the windows, a rugged leather on an ottoman... each piece represents a different textural element in the room that will distinguish all of the whites from each other. 


A white matelasse or textured coverlet is the perfect foil to a sea of embroidered and ruffled accent pillows.  

    A textural linen blend upholstery on a sofa contrasts beautifully with smooth silk accent pillows. Use the different characteristics of fabrics and materials to create a landscape of textures.

    The finishes you choose to use in the furnishings and accessories in an all white room will also bring an element of interest and diversity to the sea of white.  A glass lamp base, a lucite chair, a metallic coffee table... these clear and silver or gold elements add a touch of glamor and contemporary style. 


    Add a romantic, cottage look with whitewashed wood and crystal accessories.  White porcelain sculptures of quirky animals (think Jonathan Adler) or handmade white pottery adds a youthful touch.  Incorporate finishes and moldings into your woodwork.  Bead board, wide plank flooring, and driftwood all look beachy and natural when done in white or whitewash. 

    Photo: Country Living via Apartment Therapy

    Use light woods to create an airy look and dark wood to tone down the starkness of a pure white, glossy, white lacquer on chairs or tables or a mirrored chest or nightstand to add elegance.   Remember, its all about creating depth and interest. Vary your shades, shapes and textures to add visual interest, personality, and style to your all-white, done right room.  
     
     
    I continue to dream that one day - perhaps upon retirement when I drink less coffee and am less likely to be covered with threads - that I too will be enjoying an all-white room of my own!

    12 comments:

    1. You give very useful and interesting tips. And the pics are amazing! congratulations!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Love your examples.... I get all giddy when I see it in pictures but alas I could never have it in my home. I need color !

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm happy you appreciated it. I must admit, this is one of my favorite of all my posts. I searched and searched and searched for gorgeous images and whittled it down to my favorites. They are breathtakingly beautiful. Admittedly, it would be almost impossible for me to maintain such a pristine space right now in my life but I will relish the day when I can! :-)

      ReplyDelete
    4. I would love an all white room. It has always been a dream to do this in our home. Might not be completely possible with an active 5 yr old boy running around...but one can dream. I especially think your point about the elements of white must go hand in hand with texture is spot on!(Pun intended!)

      ReplyDelete
    5. I am finding myself loving the light, neutral tones more and more. I have always used lots of color on my walls, but the pictures in magazines I have noticed latedly show more white rooms with splashes of color in accent pillows and artwork. I think I would need those splashes of color to satisfy me, but I am planning a white wall in my home soon.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I agree with both of you, Maria & Mary. There is such serenity in these all-white spaces and with such busy lives that can be quite desirable!

      ReplyDelete
    7. I love these rooms! Nothing feels more serene and calming than all white, done right!! That dining room is stunning. And after a long stressful day what a tranquil bedroom with a tufted headboard to come home to!

      ReplyDelete
    8. They really are divine; heavenly. Don't you get the sense that you would have the most perfect sleep in a room like any of these I've shown?

      ReplyDelete
    9. I so love the white rooms and want one so bad! But like Tammy, I need some color. So I have deep color on the walls and neutral furniture.

      Maybe one day.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I just love the look of these rooms. To me, then you deal with an all white space you get to see lots of "sparkle". Light fixtures, crystal chandeliers, mirrors...they all look fabulous. My girls will tell anyone, " Mommy loves anything that sparkles!"

      ReplyDelete
    11. That is the truth when its "all white, done right"! The key is to incorporate enough texture, shades and sparkle to add the depth. If you like anything that sparkles Debra, you will love the silver mirror I'm sure that I included in the Interior Inspirations from My Web Favs: Material Girls post. Check it out if you haven't already.

      ReplyDelete
    12. That mirror is gorgeous! Oh,to have the perfect room to put it in...I need a second house! Ihave lots of color in my home...got seriously stuck on apple green and paprika. And, while I love it, whenever I see an all "white" room that is done just right I truly yearn for the day I can do it. There is something magical about it.

      ReplyDelete

    Did I ever tell you how much I love your comments? I really do love hearing your thoughts after reading posts? Lets me know people are reading and helps us keep the conversation going!! ~ Thank you!

    Related Posts with Thumbnails

    Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand

    Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand
    At Storibook Designs we create custom designs by hand; here it is not just sewing, it is art!