Installations: each one is unique!

When I started Storibook Designs I admit that I never really prepared myself for the level "installation" would play in the business and in my daily life for that matter. A person of vision, of ideas, quick to flow with design possibilities, I didn't always have to go the next step and think through the installation.

But in my business, installation is an integral part of the design. If I can think it, create it, then I damn well better be able to install it. .... or KNOW exactly how it will be mounted so that I bring my installers to a job prepared. As the designer, it is my responsibility to think through the installation at the time of design so I am not blindsighting my installers on the job site.

I learn something new about tools, anchors, building construction, drapery hardware, etc. with every single job. As a result, things like toggle bolts, L-brackets, wall anchors and drillbits are on my standard shopping list!

With all that I've learned the last few years, I admit that it brings a smile to my face when a customer says, "Wow, you really know your way around a toolbox". A compliment like that almost makes every physically exhausting installation worthwhile.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh...Installation!!!!!! The benefits of having installed a lot of my jobs myself is worth every ounce of knowledge that I have gained over the years. It has made me a better designer and fabricator! Before the creation of every job, I evaluate the best way to install that particular job. There are so many factors that can go into design/installation-weight, height, access into a location, construction of building, limitations around electrical outlets, etc. This knowledge will lead you to create and fabricate designs that will be installed smoothly and properly, making EVERYONE happy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...Installation!!!!!! The benefits of having installed a lot of my jobs myself is worth every ounce of knowledge that I have gained over the years. It has made me a better designer and fabricator! Before the creation of every job, I evaluate the best way to install that particular job. There are so many factors that can go into design/installation-weight, height, access into a location, construction of building, limitations around electrical outlets, etc. This knowledge will lead you to create and fabricate designs that will be installed smoothly and properly, making EVERYONE happy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So absolutely true!! I have so much more to post on this topic, I honestly could create a years worth of posts on the topic. Every installation is unique proves itself to be true on every job!

    ReplyDelete

Did I ever tell you how much I love your comments? I really do love hearing your thoughts after reading posts? Lets me know people are reading and helps us keep the conversation going!! ~ Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand
At Storibook Designs we create custom designs by hand; here it is not just sewing, it is art!