Decorative Trims: Bullion Fringe

To continue on our trip through trims, we're going to stay on the fringe path to take a look at bullion fringe. Bullion fringe is a fringe made of looped threads that are twisted together, varying in lengths that can range from 3" to as much as 12".

I love this quote from Barry Dixon that House Beautiful featured in its "101 Makeover Ideas from 101 Designers." The makeover tip? Dress up curtains, of course! Barry says, "If you want to accentuate the height of a room, apply braid, tape, or trim to the leading edge of the draperies." [Barry has long been my kind of designer!!]
Hand Model: Me.. ha, ha

Bullion is not to be confused with bouillon. Unless you're hungry and in the mood for soup. In that case, bouillon it is!

This kind of fringe is to be used tastefully and in measured doses. You know the saying that you can never get too much of a good thing? Well, in this case, throw that saying out the window (pardon the pun). In this custom chair by Barry Dixon, the fringe is just divine -- so elegant!


And in this next amazing space (space seems like an understatement), a stunning and lush ottoman takes center stage. Again, it's classy and elegant. Can you imagine if fringe was all over this room? Too much. And it would easily take away from the detail already there. Instead, the small dose in this one eye-catching piece adds such richness -- so chic!


In this amazing living roome below, however, the fringe is in full-dose and looking amazing! This room needed a window treatment with some "weight" and adding the bullion brought it! The owner of this home, William Thames, states, "You get a little bit better results when you let the professionals do what they know". A "little bit"? Just look at this room, it's exquisite. I think, "a LOT better results"!


Here in Jeffrey Bilhuber's own room, bullion fringe is used as a sofa trim, and again, it's the only use of this fringe in the space. It adds interest and balance to the walls, and brings a new dimension to the sofa while still maintaining the room's comfortable, casual feel.


As I mentioned in my first post about fringe, some clients cringe at the thought of fringe and respond with a gut reaction, "no, no, Sarah, I'm not a fringe person". Until, of course, I help them see it in a new way. It's not your Grandma's fringe anymore! Remember that fringe styles abound; here we're showing you a small sampling to get you thinking. I can literally get you drooling over some of the delicious options available as we explore the multitude of options that might suit your style or project.

So, tell me, has this whet your appetite? What do you really think of what you've seen so far? 

4 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. Your posts are thoroughly researched and well thought out, and your writing style is so "you". Looking forward to reading much, much more! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie, how are you? Thanks for stopping by and for such a nice note! Has the baby arrived? I know I am overdue for checking out the amazing work you did for Sarah's shower!! I'll be by soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The baby is due any day now! I can hardly wait. I'll be sure to post some pictures on my blog when he arrives, so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! You sound like me with the "it's not your grandma's...!" I always say that about wallcoverings. Some people are so afraid that all wallcovering will look like it did years ago. All trim work makes me happy, including fringe!

    ReplyDelete

Did I ever tell you how much I love your comments? I really do love hearing your thoughts after reading posts? Lets me know people are reading and helps us keep the conversation going!! ~ Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand
At Storibook Designs we create custom designs by hand; here it is not just sewing, it is art!