Blog Bites: Upholstered Headboards

Ah, upholstered headboards...they're not just for readers anymore. Upholstered headboards can add drama, softness, elegance, and comfort. The effect you create is limited only by your imagination. With so many choices, there's no question you can find a look to match your style.

I love them so much, this is one I've adored for quite some time and have my own adaptation in process.... (stay tuned for my reveal!).

There have been quite a numbe of blogs that have done a really great job featuring some fun and funky headboards too.  Great inspirations, I wanted to share some of those that caught my eye with you too!

Vanessa, a Toronto interior decorator, shared some excellent info (and beautiful beds) in "Upholstered Headboard Heaven" on her blog, Decor Happy. Pointing out the range of options you'll find when exploring the world of upholstered headboards, Vanessa breaks down some of the choices -- "Straight or curved? Patterned or solid fabric? Nail head detail? Button tufting? Wood frame? Or any combination." Vanessa shows so many gorgeous options, you might find it tough to select a favorite. Here are a few I especially like -- two curved, one straight, and lots of pattern!

Adore the headboard in this one, but would love to see a different fabric on the upholstered frame, perhaps a solid blue. And how about changing out the bedding a bit? I would love a deep navy linen. What would you do?

headboardsarahr4

Fantastic geometric prints - love the stripes headboard against that wallpaper -  in vibrant colors -- red and coral, broken up with the pop of green. Without the green, this would have come off as stuffy and traditional but now... simply unexpected and lovely!

headboardmarymcdonald1

As Vanessa points out about this next headboard, the piping and graphic fabric are fantastic. Beautiful use of pattern, texture, and color to create a "wow" room. Very cool stripes behind the floral headboard, a funky chandelier...divine. What pre-teen wouldn't adore this room (and the personal bathroom)?

headboardviavtinteriors


Our next featured post, is from Drapery Designs' post on upholstered headboards, showcasing some beautiful tufting and a lot of luxury. A little side note:  Drapery Design is the blog of Custom Home Furnishings Academy in Charlotte, NC, the only school in the country dedicated to professional training in the home decor industry. I am proud to say that I am one of the newst instructors at the school, teaching two courses -- Textiles and Fabric Coordination and Creating a Strategic Marketing Plan, which will be held on five diffferent dates in 2011. Check out the website for details! And while you're there, check out CHF's magazine Drapery and Design Professional ; you might just discover an article or two from yours truly! (My articles are also linked to here on the In Print page.) OK, shameless plug over... back to headboards.

Who wouldn't feel like a princess for a day in this bed? Adorable and sophosticated! I love that this piece can be styled  to suit a young girl, pre-teen, or teen. Changes in wall treatments and accessories can shift this bed from "girly girl" to "cool teen." A quality piece like this makes a smooth transition.



This four-poster bed looks great with the tufted headboard. To be honest, the colors are a little dull for me, but I appreciate the elegant results. And how can I not mention the chandelier? With those high ceilings, the bed and chandelier draw the eye up to that beautiful ceiling.


Love the curves on this headboard, the contrast welting, and gorgeous green. A lot of natural elements in this bedroom (drapes, accessories, bedding) "bring the outdoors in" without making you feel, well, outdoors at all!


Talk about regal with this exaggerated, curved design with damask upholstery! And I can't take my eyes off of the wall color - it looks like real slate - that makes the headboard stand out even more.


Corea Sotropa Interior Design, a Calgary firm, featured upholstered headboards in a post early this year. I have to share the opening lines because they're just perfect: "Upholstered headboards say luxury. If you want your bedroom to be sumptuous, comfortable and plush, an upholstered headboard is the answer." Yes, yes, and yes!

Check out this raised tufted panel in soft butter. Makes me want to slide right in!


This next tufted headboard in a classic shape is so fun in violet against a chocolate wall. A modern end table and accessories create a chic vibe.

I'm in love with this children's room and its scalloped, tufted, green headboards.  I also need to point out the dollhouse situated in the bottom left of this image. Doesn't this room have a dollhouse quality about it?

Upholstered headboard situated on an upholstered wall -- wow! This one says luxury for sure!
Interior Design by Noel Jeffrey (original photo via Things That Inspire)

This next room comes from the fabulous Tobi Fairley, who I adore.  If you've ever heard, "she's the real deal".. well that is Tobi Fairley!  Her spaces are guaranteed to have pops of vibrant color and these headboards are no exception.  Gorgeous design and fabric that makes me want to sit up and read all night!  The beds are actually two queens. Niiice! Talk about the ultimate guest room.  (You can find more images from this Lakeview Estate she designed here).

Do you have an upholstered headboard in your home? Love it? Hate it? Something in between? Would you do anything differently now that you've seen these designs? We love doing headboards here at Storibook Designs and can create any look you desire, from fun or funky to sublime and/or traditional..  So tell me, is an upholstered headboard in your future?  Love 'em or hate 'em?  I really want to know; I love hearing from you!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I've really been thinking about an upholstered headboard but I'm so fickle that I'd be afraid I'd tire of it quickly. We'll see...you've assembled some great inspiration pics!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen ~ thanks for coming on over! :-) I have customers who feel the same way..... the answer: slipcover. You can really make some great slipcovers to very quickly and easily change the look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one of these upholstered beauties for myself! Funny, I love that patterned headboard and bedding as is! I wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. K.. I love that you love that bed exactly as is!! Style, pattern, color, its all very personal and that is why I tell my clients, "you live in the home, the design needs to be about you!" Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a platform bed (no headboard) and can't place it on the wall we'd like due to a window being in the way (and we're readers who like to sit up in bed). An upholstered headboard would be a great solution. If it's the right height, it wouldn't block too much light (and I'm sure it'd look pretty fabulous, too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. It definitely would Michelle. Does the window face out to the street? If it does, my only consideration would be the way it looks from the street. You could do top down/bottom up shades or shutters though on the windows so it would look equally as well street-side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for featuring my article and project in your blog. I'm flattered! Very nice collection of images. Well done.

    Jacqueline Corea
    Corea Sotropa Interior Design

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're quite welcome Jacqueline; my pleasure to include your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

Did I ever tell you how much I love your comments? I really do love hearing your thoughts after reading posts? Lets me know people are reading and helps us keep the conversation going!! ~ Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand
At Storibook Designs we create custom designs by hand; here it is not just sewing, it is art!