Blog Bites: Think Pink!

Last year, we featured a blog bites post on the 2010 color of the year -- turquoise! Get ready for this year's feature on Pantone's color of 2011 -- honeysuckle! “In times of stress, we need something to lift our spirits. Honeysuckle is a captivating, stimulating color that gets the adrenaline going – perfect to ward off the blues,” explains Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®.


I think most people have an immediate reaction to pink, especially a hue this bold.  While it might be easy to imagine how the color might translate in the world of fashion trends, many of you may take pause at the idea of bringing pink into a kitchen, bath, living or dining room. Take heart, it's a color trend, not a rule.
 

Personally, I love pink in a girl's room, as many do. I also don't want to dismiss the physiological impact of the color - as the Pantone site explains, "A dynamic reddish pink, Honeysuckle is encouraging and uplifting. It elevates our psyche beyond escape, instilling the confidence, courage and spirit to meet the exhaustive challenges that have become part of everyday life." While true, how willing would you be to incorporate pink into your home? Take a peek at these blog bites from Alicia B., The Decorologist and Good Life of Design to see how they have weighed in on the topic.

Our first post comes from Alicia B. Designs. Although she states that she is excited about the new color and loves it, I found it interesting that her take, based on the inspiration photos she chose, was much more subdued.  Her eye translated the color of the year with a soft and sophisticated appeal.  I love the two room shots Alicia showcased because they show how making a bold statement with shades of pink can also be tempered with neutrals and patterns.

Amanda Nisbet via Alicia B. Designs

In this first room, I was humored by Alicia's not-so-eloquent manner of commending Amanda Nisbet's room: "This looks incredible without looking like a Lilly Pulitzer dress threw up all over a room (not that that would be bad...)." Yes Alicia, I think we would all agree that would be bad!
 
In the other room, there is just a pop of pink pulled in with the miniscule tiebacks and a throw, both of which can always be swapped out if you lose interest.  This is so subtle to my eye that is isn't working for me as a qualification of adding the color of the year to your space. With the depth of the rug, I would love to see more strength in color on that window to balance the weight.


Deborah Lloyd via Lonny Mag (found on Alicia B. Designs)

Alicia introduced this Kathy Ireland room that definitely demonstrates a more passionate investment in pink.  It's an interesting mix.  I'm intrigued by the decision to minimize the intensity of the colors by going light on the upper wall and softened shades on the windows.

Kathy Ireland via Alicia B. Designs

Our next post comes from Kristie Barnett, The Decorologist.  Kristie says, "I love a good pink, and I’m not going to apologize for it." Good for you, Kristie, stick to your guns! Kristie actually had two posts on the topic, the first a quick announcement of the color release and the second a creative tie-in to turquoise.

Here's a room that really goes for it and with a bold use of color .... in the kitchen.  Who knew how cool a kitchen would look in pink. Kristie and I are on the same page with the sentiment, I admire it, not sure I could live with it though, could you?

LiveBreatheDecor via The Decorologist


I love this bedroom. As you know, custom window treatments are such a huge part of my business, that show me a canopy and bed drapes and I'm all over it. I also love the custom canopies and coordinating bed skirt (check out the bit of skirt peeking out from the bed on the right.). Love. This room has just enough color without going overboard. The brown lampshade grounds and separates the two spaces and the white keeps the room light and airy. I would enjoy this as a guest room -- do you think male guests would find it overdone with feminine touches?
Decor Pad via The Decorologist

The tie in to turquoise was a brilliant adaptation and again, I was struck by our similarities in taste.  Kristie showcased one of my favorite rooms, one that I had shared on my Facebook page several months ago. 


And again, we see a lively mix of the two Pantone picks here.


Just as Kristie doesn't apologize for her love of pink, Kathysue of Good Life of Design makes one thing clear: Her color of the year is definitely not pink! Kathysue loves blue and white, so she has taken a different approach to her "color of the year" post by well, uh, basically ignoring it.  Well, not really, she does show how she will use it - as an accent only - to the scheme that wins for her.... blue:
 
pantone reflex blue (260x153)

I just had to include this because, as mentioned previously, I know pink isn't for everyone and Kathysue offers up a different perspective. She shares some images of rooms from her own home to show how she likes to use blue and white (and intends to coninue to use more.)
summer dining 2 (800x600)
Good Life Design
Kathysue adds that it's not that she doesn't like honeysuckle; she does plan to add a little throughout her home, but it will be in careful and measured doses. Here's an example of how she might incorporate pink.

chair (450x600)
source unknown 

So what about you? Are you feeling the push toward deep pinks as a foundation color, do you like more subdued tones or are you like Kathysue and only thinking of accents?  Whereever you weigh in, I do have quite a few great fabrics in stock featuring varying shades of honeysuckle...I mean, pink...or, well, reddish. Take a peek!






Want to see more of the fabrics we have to offer? Check out the Storibook Designs Shop!

Think pink might be for you? How would you use it? Excited by it? A little frightened? I'd love to hear your take on this year's color. And if you're not in love, tell me...what would your color of 2011 be?

3 comments:

  1. Love the pink in interiors! And I think it's so interesting how well it plays off of last year's blue. My favorite are the Kathryn Ireland images - her work with pinks is fun, yet sophisticated. I think it's her British background - the Brits have long used such saturated colors in their interiors and they always look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by Linda. I feel like a movie star just came by for a visit.. :-). Seriously you literally are the first blog I ever read and spurred me on to read others!!

    I love Kathy Ireland too and am excited that she'll be speaking at a conference I'm going to in April. I hope I get a chance to meet her while there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pink and actually had a bright pink dining room in my first house but I don't think it will work in this one.

    ReplyDelete

Did I ever tell you how much I love your comments? I really do love hearing your thoughts after reading posts? Lets me know people are reading and helps us keep the conversation going!! ~ Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand
At Storibook Designs we create custom designs by hand; here it is not just sewing, it is art!