Blogfest: Why I'm Totally Excited? It's like Christmas in May!

Yes, yes, April showers bring May flowers. All of this New England snow will have melted and spring will be in the air. All of this is very exciting, especially with the winter we've been having around here! But no, it gets better!

I am so looking forward for May because I'll be attending BlogFest 2011 in New York City from the 16th to the 18th! Yes! May can't get here fast enough. When I first saw the posting for the event, I knew I had to jump on such an amazing opportunity, even in the midst of an already packed schedule that lies ahead.


So what exactly is BlogFest 2011? Its subtitle tells it all: "Access to Inspired Design." The design world clearly recognizes the influence that bloggers have, see bloggers as on their side, and are embracing the blogging community. That is what is behind this weekend in May.

Kravet and Lee Jofa are teaming up to invite interior design bloggers from across the country to join them in a "whirlwind tour" of New York City's design world. How cool is that?! Talk about access! (Sorry for all the exclamation points. Can you tell I'm just a little over the moon with anticipation?)

We are going to be treated as design VIP's, given access to so many different design venues at once. On the BlogFest 2011 website, ninety-two blogs/bloggers are currently listed as attendees. In the conference world, that's small....very VIP-like. With events featuring editors from House Beautiful, Veranda, Town & Country, Elle Decor, and Architectural Digest, I'm feeling quite priveleged and honored for this opportunity.

Hey Margaret, see you there! 
photo via bravotv.com

We'll get an insider's look at some of these top design mags, tour the Elle Decor Concept House, be treated to a cocktail parties and a champagne reception -- what's not to love? I'm really looking forward to the panel discussion on "The Importance of Blogs to the Print Media Industry Today" too, as I am all for the longevity of my favorite magazines. Digital is nice, but nothing can replace my stack of design magazines and inspiration pages in my list of favorite things!

What is most amazing about all this, that I haven't made emphatic enough up to this point, is that this opportunity is a direct result of social media. That's right; you know those tweets I've been sending out and those "friends" I've been talking to and about on Facebook? Well, without those connections and without that network I would never have been privy to this event. So in addition to the fabulous agenda and industry icons, I'm pretty darn stoked to that I will be meeting IRL (in real life) so many people I have only known online up to now! I'll be able to not just meet them, but also have some quality time enjoying all of this with people who inspire me on a daily basis. Long list of folks I can't wait to meet: Ellen from Nouveau Stitch, the ladies behind Material Girls, Tobi Fairley, Janell of Isabella & Max Rooms, Leslie Fine, BKLYN Contessa, Leslie Carothers - famously known as @tkpleslie on Twitter - Faith Sheridan, Gretchen Aubuchon, Sharon Laxon and Yvonne Vanderkooy from Layers and Layers, Katy Elliott, the folks behind Design Blahg, Emily Anderson, Tamara Matthews-Stephenson, Linda Merrill, Juliann from CreateGirl, Jen from Made By Girl, and so many more. Told you it was a long list! I hope you'll check out some of their blogs, too!

The agenda keeps getting better too so I can't help but wonder -- will there be surprises as well? [I can't help it...that's the kid in me I guess.]  I feel like I've won the lottery and I've only had the luxury of something like that once before, so I'm so glad I was "tweeting" when Kravet made the announcement; I think I had that application filled out within an hour of the announcement... hah!  didn't let anything stop me from jumping at this tremendous opportunity.
And for those unable to attend, not to worry, we're bloggers remember?  We'll be sure to keep you in the know and you can attend vicariously through us.  Follow-up posts for sure! And for those of you attending BlogFest, I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

11 comments:

  1. Ah yes - waited too long to sign up trying to make sure I had coverage at home and now on wait list - know I'm near the top so just keeping my fingers crossed! Sounds like a fabulous event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to attend and meet you and so many other fabulous designers & bloggers! All of the extra perks and design tours are like icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have a great time, can't wait to hear all about it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way! I cannot wait to be there, to meet you all and to experience something like I would NEVER have the experience to do if it wasn't for social media. I am in total awe ... and I'll be the girl with all the pinch marks! hahaha ... thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Quintessence, I'm sorry but you never know, a spot could still open up. I know there were a few that opened up this week.

    Cynthia, Sharon & Yvonne it will be awesome to meet and know real live faces behind the "tweets".

    Tammy, we'll be sure to share with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be an amazing few days. So eager to meet and mingle. What an opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to meeting everyone there as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post - I was already looking forward to this event but the excitement level is now edging even higher thanks to all your exclamation points! And you're right - nothing can replace print magazines, even if the virtual world is a great complement. By the way, speaking of social media - I found this post through Blogfest's FB page so it just goes to show...
    See you in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. There truly is an event for everybody! Who would have thought with our online social media addiction that we would break the digital mold to actually convene in person! Craziness... but so necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your blog post is describing how each attendee is feeling...can't wait! Looking forward to meeting you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, Roving, Benjamin & Layers.. :-) thank you all for stopping by. My apologies for the late note back. I have a lot to get done before May so have been busy, busy!! Looking forward to meeting you all real soon IRL!! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Did I ever tell you how much I love your comments? I really do love hearing your thoughts after reading posts? Lets me know people are reading and helps us keep the conversation going!! ~ Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand

Craftsmanship: custom artistry by hand
At Storibook Designs we create custom designs by hand; here it is not just sewing, it is art!